Simple steps in attaining a sharper and healthy brain.
The brain is the most important organ of the body. It has control and effects over all the functionalities of every cell, tissue and other organs which are also vital in our health. When a portion of the brain becomes dysfunctional, more often than not, a large portion of your abilities will shut down as well.
More so if you will be declared “brain dead” due to complications or accidents, most of the time you will just be supported by an apparatus and be in the vegetative state. This is why experts always promote brain health.
In an article published on healthandlovepage.com, the brain’s function decreases because of neuro-degeneration. Below are the activities that may be affected if your brain deteriorates and its cells die. Take a look at the picture below:
In consideration of several illnesses, your brain may experience, experts have easy ways on how to keep your brain healthy and maintain its proper function.
- Manage your blood sugar– By keeping your blood sugar level to its normal level; you will be able to sustain a healthy brain as well. Make sure to include foods rich in protein, fiber, and good fat. They can help in proper digestion and absorption of nutrients needed by the body. Do not believe in food labels that say “fat-free” or “sugar-free,” because they are filled with artificial sweeteners which are more harmful.
- Perform some exercise routines– This is also vital for brain health because it can regulate blood circulation, thus, it can supply enough oxygen to your brain cells. Allot 30-45 minutes for your daily aerobic exercise. You may also enroll in Zumba classes which are getting famous, especially for women. Also, make sure to regularly monitor your heart rate. You may apply the formula below in computing for your average heart rate.
- Male: 202 – (0.55 x age)
- Female: 216 – (1.09 x age)
- Add Essential Fatty Acid (EFA) to your diet regularly- Scientists found out that a lot of brain-related illnesses are because of decreasing level of Essential Fatty Acids (EFA). Certain diseases like Attention Deficit Disorder, Dementia and Alzheimer’s are linked to the lack of EFA in the body. Include cold water fish (salmon, tuna, sardines), avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, flax seeds and nuts in your diet at least 2 times a week for ample supply of EFA.
- Do not forget carbohydrates- This vitamin is crucial for the production of Methyl-donors or MSM, Folate and Vitamin B which are supplements of a healthy brain. You may take whole grains, legumes, and nuts as the source of carbohydrates. Also, it is advisable to regulate your intake of eggs, dairy, and meat.
- Avoid stress- Certain factors, which are enumerated below, may increase the level of cortisol, also known as stress hormones, and are relative to having a neurodegenerative disease.
- Cigarette smoking
- Irresponsible alcohol intake
- Artificial sweeteners
- Hydrogenated fat
- Food allergy
- Not enough sleep; deprived of sleep
- Emotional, mental and physical factors
- Strengthen your immune system- Your gut has the most of the lymph that comprises 60% of the immune system. This is also called Gut Associated Lymphoid Tissue (GALT). If these groups of lymph become infected with bacteria, fungus or allergens from food, it will become inflamed and has a relative effect to the health of brain cells. You may strengthen your immune system by engaging into proper diet and eating more fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise your brain- It is not only your body that needs to be flexed from time to time but your brain too. Playing board games, crossword puzzles, or applications on your gadgets that promote cognitive exercises may help in maintaining a healthy brain. One way of keeping it strong is to always use and sharpen it.
- Engage in relaxation exercises- Experts believe that acupuncture, aromatherapy, body massage, yoga and alike, can increase the level of dopamine and serotonin, which are good for brain neurons.